The Jefferson City Buzzards were
organized by Lee Simpson, Sidney S. Simpson, William Markel and Wilbur A.
Simpson. The original members lived in what was known as JEFFERSON CITY.
At the time of the Civil War, Toledano St. was the upper boundary of New
Orleans. Above it was Jefferson City, which extended from Toledano to
Joseph St. Long after Jefferson was incorporated into New Orleans, the
name lingered on. Today its memory is revived each Mardi Gras when the
Jefferson City Buzzards take to the streets.
How did the Buzzards get their name?
Noted Mardi Gras historian,
Arthur Burton La Cour, wrote in his "New Orleans Masquerade" that when the group was
formed in 1890, the members called themselves the Muddy Graws, but in 1890 they
obtained a charter as the Jefferson City Buzzards, borrowing "Buzzards" from a
defunct group which had called itself the French Market Buzzards.
Starting out at 7 a.m. on Mardi Gras at
Audubon Park and Laurel, the Buzzards wind in and out of the Uptown area and
eventually get to St. Charles Ave and Napoleon Ave. They march down to
Jackson Ave. where they fall behind Zulu. The march continues down St.
Charles Ave. onto Canal St. and eventually ending at the Eastern
District of Louisiana Courthouse on Magazine St.